From: "Tod M. Neidt" <tneidt@××××××.com>
To: "gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org" <gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] RFC: dohtml script
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 03:47:28
1 Hi!
2
3 I've been playing around with documentation ebuilds and noticed two
4 different ways that html documentation is being merged.
5
6 1) using the dodoc script (example: gimp-1.2.1-r1.ebuild, the libgimp
7 docs)
8 pro: gzipped to take up less disk space
9 con: can't follow local links
10
11 2) a straight cp (example: gimp-user-manual-2.0.ebuild)
12 pro: can follow local links between pages
13 con: uncompressed docs use more disk space
14
15 The attached script, dohtml, is a quick and dirty implementation to
16 gzip html docs and have your linkage too. It is a modification of the
17 dodoc script which seds the html files and and changes the relative
18 links from href="foo.html" to href="foo.html.gz" prior to gzipping and
19 installation.
20
21 I have only tested it on the gimp-1.2.1-r1.ebuild. The merge is fine.
22 And it is actually functional. You can browse the local gzipped
23 libgimpdocs. There is some mangling of the text,extra .gz's scattered
24 about...hey I said it was quick and dirty ;), but it illustrates the
25 concept.
26
27 Is this something that would be of interest to Gentoo?
28
29 If you want to give it a try change the line
30 dodoc devel-docs/libgimp/html/*.html
32 dohtml devel-docs/libgimp/html/*.html
33 in the gimp-1.2.1-r1.ebuild and copy the dohtml script to
34 /usr/lib/portage/bin
35
36 Criticism is appreciated.
37