From: Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Conveying important upgrade messages to user community
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 16:40:10
1 Hi
2
3 M. Edward Borasky wrote:
4
5 > Whenever you do "emerge sync", you get a list of "release notes" for
6 > everything that has changed since your last sync. I know Portage is
7 > smart enough to do this sort of thing, because it told me I had to
8 > update my /etc/make.profile last night, and it tells me when I need to
9 > update Portage. While you're at it, a list of new packages would be
10 > nice.
11
12 I think this is rather a bad solution, because...:
13
14 1. to much noise
15 there are about 10'000 packages in portage, i have installed ~500 of
16 them. i really don't care about release notes for foo/bar if it isn't in
17 my system
18
19 2. automatics
20 probably most gentoo-users do their emerge sync with a cron-job or
21 something similiar, because there is really no need to view the output
22 of an emerge sync. so this wouldn't help at all
23
24 3. emerge sync != emerge package
25 i am one of these who do their emerge sync at lunch time and then update
26 the system in the evening, when i have more time.
27
28 beside of that, there are also users with limited internet access and
29 those probably do a emerge sync only if there's a important security fix
30 in a new version. so what if they installed foo-bar-2.4, a month later
31 2.6 became stable and in 2.8 there's a important security fix. the
32 upgrade from 2.4 to 2.6 directly and they wouldn't see the "release
33 notes" and blame us again ;)
34
35 your proposal would work great if every user would do a manual emerge
36 sync && emerge -uD world every day, but that's not the case.
37
38 blubb