From: Andrej Kacian <ticho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Official overlay support
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 16:37:03
1 Dňa Fri, 24 Mar 2006 17:15:37 +0100
2 Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o> napísal:
3
4 > Yeah, and the point is? It happens every day, there are already tons
5 > of third-party overlays used by Gentoo users, but once this thread
6 > about "official" overlays started, you came here to tell us "wow,
7 > this all will cause terrible borkage and flood developers w/ tons of
8 > stupid invalid bugs, we need policies"?
9 >
10 > I really don't see how overlays run mostly by Gentoo devs would cause
11 > any more borkage than totally uncontrolled third-party overlays run by
12 > whomever creates and publishes them, sorry.
13
14 One of the reasons might be that while many users have enough sense not
15 to report bugs too eagerly when using third-party overlays of varying
16 quality, they would do so if they were using an official overlay -
17 which, with your no-policy approach, would undoubtedly crawl with bugs.
20 Andrej