From: Thomas Flavel <thomasfl@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] odds and ends
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 16:34:25
On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 04:08:51PM -0700, drobbins@g.o wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 10:43:53PM +0000, Thomas Flavel wrote: > > > 1.0_rc4-pre2 is fully compatible with all modern Intel and Intel-compatible > > > processors, from the i486 on up. While 1.0_rc4-pre2 is optimized for the > > > 486, Achim plans to build several different versions of 1.0_rc4 optimized for > > > various processors. 1.0_rc4-pre2 has been tested on K6 systems and works > > > > I don't understand why not a 386? I kind of expected the distcd to be 386 > > binaries, and then to compile and install optimised to whatever my processor > > happens to be? What am I mis-understanding? ;) > > > > How would gentoo be installed on a 386? > > Very slowly. 386's and bzip2-compressed packages don't exactly get along :)
:) Is it feasible to have two alternate install routes; one compiling from scratch and the other pre-compiled?
> If there's a need, we can create a 386-compatible build.
I'm just thinking along the lines of a minimum binary system where absolutley needed, and compiling specifically everywhere else? I realise this would be slow to install on slower systems, but, since we're all power users... ;) Seriously though, I do think this would be a nice feature, unless there's some practicality reason I'm missing.
> > Excellent. Roughly what size is minimum now? > > Do you mean the minimum HD space needed for installation? I'd guess about 400Mb > of HD space. We haven't specifically attempted to "squeeze" the base install > into a minimum of space. If we did, we could probably get it to live in around > 250Mb, maybe less. If we started recompiling packages and linking them to a tiny > libc, we might be able to get this down to <100Mb :) But, since we're all power > users, this isn't something that we're focusing on right now.
Ok - Tom

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] odds and ends drobbins@g.o