From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: dist-kernel@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] New project: Distribution kernel
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2020 04:49:15
1 Hi,
2
3 I'd like to officially RFC establishing the 'Distribution kernel'
4 project. As the project page [1] says, our goal is to maintain sys-
5 kernel/*-kernel packages. The goals are:
6
7 1. Covering kernel maintenance wholly within packages (install via
8 emerge, upgrade as part of @world upgrade), without requiring additional
9 actions from the user or resorting to nonportable hacks.
10
11 2. Providing a default configuration that works for most of diverse
12 systems, for users who are not interested in configuring their own
13 kernel from scratch.
14
15 3. Supporting different bootloaders and /boot layouts (LILO, GRUB,
16 systemd-boot, EFI stub…) with minimal effort, including deploying self-
17 built kernel binary packages over a fleet of heterogeneous systems.
18
19 [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Distribution_Kernel
22 Best regards,
23 Michał Górny