From: Meir Kriheli <mksoft@×××××××××××××.il>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Installer (2) [LARGE]
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2002 08:06:49
1 On Sunday 02 June 2002 15:18, foser wrote:
2 > vprada@××××××××××.ve wrote:
3 > > As i told you this was my first approach. I think that we need a fast way
4 > > to multiply the number of "non-technical" users that can use Gentoo, and
5 > > this was the fastest way that i did find.
6 >
7 > Not to put you down, but gentoo isn't aimed at non-technical users
8 > afaik. Why does every distro want to appeal to as much people as
9 > possible ? There's so much about gentoo which could use help in
10 > developing, an a fancy installer imo really isn't one of them (i don't
11 > see what it adds except in a lot more newbie traffic). Let people just
12 > start out with RH/Mandrake, move on to debian or similar and finally
13 > make their way to gentoo. By then they have the knowledge to use it and
14 > appreciate what it can and does.
15 >
16 > Just my 2 cents (i speak for myself here).
17 >
18 > - foser
19
20 While I mostly agree, there's a place for such an installer. I want to build a
21 binary distro based on Gentoo with frontend tools to portage. A beginner will
22 use a fast distro and frontend tools. When he/she gains knowledge they can
23 ditch the frontend and binary packages and use it as we do.
24
25 No need to reinstall a new distro or change settings - this will provide an
26 easy migration path from newbies to power users - in the same package.
27 --
28 Meir Kriheli