From: Paul Varner <gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Cc: billk@×××××××××.au
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] kernelmod-rebuild-0.1
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 15:35:46
1 Daniel Robbins wrote:
2 >> Something I couldnt see from from your explanation: does it leave
3 existing
4 >> modules in place if you change your kernel? If it does it will be the
5 >> answer to my prayers as I am currently building kernels ...
6 >
7 > The latest Portage (-r18) should leave existing modules in place.
8
9 As I discovered earlier today, the latest 2.0.49-r18 in the portage tree
10 does not contain the fixed portage.py file to prevent existing modules from
11 being removed.
12
13 Until the fixes make it into a portage a workaround is to set the
14 CONFIG_PROTECT variable on the command line where you run the emerge
15 command. For example, while I was testing this I had gentoo-test-r1 as my
16 main kernel. For the testing, I installed gentoo-sources-r9. After I
17 changed /usr/src/linux to point to /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r9, I ran
18 kernelmod-rebuild with the following command:
19
20 env CONFIG_PROTECT="/lib/modules/2.4.22-gentoo-test-r1"
21 kernelmod-rebuild --quiet -- --verbose
22
23 This resulted in my third-party kernel modules being rebuilt for the
24 gentoo-sources kernel and left the modules for the gentoo-test kernel in
25 place. I would not recommend setting this in the make.conf file as when you
26 reinstall one of the packages for a kernel where you have already installled
27 the package, you typically want the old modules to be overwritten.
28
29 Regards,
30 Paul
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list