From: John Nilsson <john@×××××××.nu>
To: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
Cc: phil@×××××××××××××××××××××××××.uk, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] No XFree86 w/ new license
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 13:57:22
1 On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 13:29, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 04:40, John Nilsson wrote:
3 > > > Not a very convincing argument, is it? So why do you want to use the
4 > > > same style of argument here?
5 > >
6 > > It is not the same thing. If Xfree86 can be argued to be a standard
7 > > componet of a system Gentoo can COMPLY with the Xfree86 License AND be
8 > > compatible with the GPL for those applications linking wiht Xfree86.
9 >
10 > I am looking at 7 Gentoo boxes right now and only 3 of them have X on
11 > them. Only one of them is actually running X currently, but all of them
12 > are being used and useful. I also have several machines at work which
13 > run Linux and do not have X on them.
14 >
15 > I don't think anyone would buy that *XFree86* is a standard component of
16 > a Gentoo system. Not to mention, it seems like you're looking for some
17 > way for us to worm our way around the blatant disregard for the GPL that
18 > the XFree86 project has shown of late simply for what? A couple
19 > drivers? What has really changed in XFree86 4.4 (from the 4.3.9x
20 > releases, where the license changed) that is so damn important that we
21 > should all simply ignore our morals and bend to XFree86's wishes?
22
23 As stated in the same mail you are quoting, I am NOT arguing for Gentoo
24 to buy the Xfree86 crap. Just that it could be legaly possible.
25
26 > I would tend to argue *NOTHING* at all is worth that... especially not a
27 > few drivers.
28 >
29 > Just my .02USD