From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Becoming a Gentoo developer?
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 17:15:25
1 On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 10:41 AM, Alexander Berntsen
2 <bernalex@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > On 17/04/15 16:33, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
5 >> The problem is double effort: previously one developer effort was
6 >> needed, now effort is doubled at least
7 > You have correctly identified the problem; in order to do things
8 > properly one must do things properly, which is more difficult than not
9 > doing things properly.
12 "Properly" is just a matter of requirements. Gentoo has 18k packages
13 right now. In my general experience, they install fine maybe 95% of
14 the time.
15
16 If you said that you could increase that success rate from 95% to
17 99.99% by dropping to 500 packages, I'd tell you that I'd prefer
18 things just they way they are.
19
20 And that is the challenge. Everything is a trade-off. Right now we
21 end up dropping packages because we can't find one person to maintain
22 them. With a review workflow we'll drop packages if we can't find two
23 people to maintain them. I doubt that would mean merely a 50%
24 reduction, since our interests tend to be varied. You'll have some
25 packages that are popular and there will be 10 people interested in
26 reviewing them. Then you'll have many more packages that are cared
27 for by a single person.
30 Rich