From: "Rémi Cardona" <remi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] PROPERTIES=set for meta-packages that should behave like package sets
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 06:05:41
1 Zac Medico a écrit :
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > Hi everyone,
6 >
7 > Please consider a PROPERTIES=set value that allows an ebuild to
8 > indicate that it should behave like a package set when selected on
9 > the command line. This is behavior is somewhat difficult to describe
10 > in words but the following example should be sufficient to convey
11 > the general idea.
12
13 As one of the maintainers of the gnome-base/gnome meta, I fail to see
14 the usefulness of such a change. We have yet to ask users to rebuild
15 "gnome" completely. Do you have any specific use cases (maybe coming
16 from the KDE herd, since you used the kde meta as an example) ?
17
18 The one thing that bothers me about this is consistency: if, say, xfce
19 (let's change ;) ) decides to use PROPERTIES=set, users will have a
20 different experience with their ebuild than with the other metas we
21 currently ship.
22
23 All in all, I'm not really against such a change, however I really fail
24 to see the win for everyone, end-users included.
25
26 Cheers :)
27
28 Rémi