From: "Michał Górny" <gentoo@××××××××××.pl>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] app-editors/vim and USE="vim-with-x" -> Rename to USE="X"?
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 17:31:02
1 On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 19:53:22 +0100
2 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 14:44:32 -0400
5 > Jim Ramsay <lack@g.o> wrote:
6 > > There is an ancient bug[1] dealing with the "vim-with-x" USE flag.
7 > >
8 > > I think it makes sense to rename this flag from 'vim-with-x' to just
9 > > 'X', but thought I'd raise the issue here since this USE flag has
10 > > been around since before time began.
11 >
12 > It's there because if you break your X you probably want a usable
13 > editor to help you fix it.
14
15 As Duncan already mentioned, vim is not the only 'primarily console'
16 application which can link against X libraries. Thus, if we really have
17 to use another flag than 'X' (which idea I personally dislike), then I
18 think it would be better to choose some more common name.
19
20 Additionally, as Jim mentioned, there's still a lot of other libraries
21 which could make vim useless. Thus, I think the best solution would be
22 to encourage upstream (or even provide a patch if they like the idea)
23 to support dynamic runtime linking with all optional libraries in vim.
24
25 Thanks to that, vim would be able to run fine with totally broken
26 libraries. If it would fail to 'load' them, it would just disable
27 particular features. Additionally, user should be able then to
28 explicitly disable loading particular libraries if they would cause
29 segfaults or other problems afterwards.
32 Best regards,
33 Michał Górny
34
35 <http://mgorny.alt.pl>