From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] implicit RDEPEND
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 23:29:40
1 On Monday 07 August 2006 13:36, Carsten Lohrke wrote:
2 > On Sunday 06 August 2006 00:26, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > and i'm on the opposite side where implicit RDEPEND should be clean:
4 >
5 > Why? I for one consider explicit dependencies much more clean.
6
7 i prefer to make the common behavior the default ... if more packages than not
8 will simply be doing:
9 RDEPEND="${DEPEND}"
10 then typing that up a zillion times is a waste
11
12 > > - eclass and ebuilds have their own sets of DEPEND/RDEPEND which do not
13 > > in any way affect each other
14 >
15 > That's not true. We use and need the functionality to set dependencies in
16 > the ebuild which take effect in the eclass. Be it by setting a variable
17 > before inherit or by an eclass function called from within the ebuild -
18 > need-kde(), need-apache(), ...
19
20 you're looking at it wrong, what you need is not broken by my suggestion
21 [ebuild
22 set some vars to affect eclass
23 (eclass env sets up *DEPEND and saves them to $ECLASS_*DEPEND)
24 ebuild env sets up *DEPEND and saves them to *DEPEND]
25 -mike