From: Anna <cyber+gentoo@×××××.in>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About EGO_SUM
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2022 18:16:47
1 On 2022-06-09 19:49, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
2 > On 08.06.22 22:42, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
3 > > EGO_SUM vs dependency tarballs:
4 > > [..]
5 > > - EGO_SUM is verifiable/reproducible from Upstream Go systems
6 >
7 > Let's be explicit, there is a _security_ threat here: as a user of an
8 > ebuild, dependency tarballs now take effort in manual review just to
9 > confirm that the content full matches its supposed list of ingredients.
10 > They are the perfect place to hide malicious code in plain sight. Now
11 > with dependency tarballs, there is a new layer that by design will
12 > likely be chronically under-audited. It gives me shivers, frankly.
13 > Previously with a manifest and upstream-only URLs, only upstream can add
14 > malicious code, not downstream in Gentoo.
15
16 I think dependency tarballs are a temporary solution. Maintainers should
17 send upstream patches for their release CI/scripts to include the
18 "vendor" directory.
19
20 Seems like there will be an option in goreleaser soon:
21 https://github.com/goreleaser/goreleaser/issues/2911
22
23 I do it with just 'go' and 'tar' for the time being.