From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Implicit system dependency
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 19:15:03
1 On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 12:05:03AM +0100, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 > That's at most an argument that USE="-*" should be a theoretically valid
3 > configuration. It does not mean that the setting makes sense for anyone.
4 >
5 > USE="-*" was maybe a reasonable idea before we had use defaults.
6 >
7 > Now, by setting USE="-*", you deviate from upstream defaults at random places
8 > and pointlessly mess up the dependency calculations of python / ruby /
9 > multilib / ... packages.
10 >
11 > Message to users- if you want a minimum set of useflags, start from the main
12 > default profile of your arch. That's what it is for. Everything else, and you
13 > sure get to keep the pieces.
14
15 Agreed. If you want to turn things off, I would recommend starting your
16 use with something like:
17
18 USE="-foo -bar -bas ..."
19
20 so that you turn off the specific things you want to turn off.
21
22 William