From: Carsten Lohrke <carlo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Package sub-categories, directory performance, and benchmarking
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 17:52:18
1 On Monday 08 November 2004 05:31, Ed Grimm wrote:
2 > Whyever would flat-tree be better than arbitrary-depth?
3
4 This was a bit theoretical to set a counterpoint to the arbitrary depths idea.
5 I neither put a thought on the implications regarding different fs or cvs.
6 One benefit would be, that it would force us to have unique package names;
7 Something like the output of `emerge texinfo` wouldn't happen. Also the
8 metadata wouldn't need to go away. Just the representation via directories.
9 If this would be done via keywords (not the arch ones), then everyone could
10 use (either cli or more powerful graphical) tools to represent sets of
11 packages in many ways.
12
13 The real reason for the anserer is that I don't think, that it will be easier
14 to find packages, by hiding them in fourth or fifths level subdirectories.
15 Especially, if the depths can differ.
18 Carsten