From: Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o>
To: Gentoo Development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [git migration] The problem of ChangeLog generation
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 19:34:48

Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>:
> Having branches to do development and facilitate access and testing > seems fine, however we should always have the goal of getting these > tested revisions merged back into the main tree. We really don't > want divergent development to be the norm.
Right, the extensive use of overlays shows a clear problem here. Users could work on a branch of the normal tree to bring in their changes, which gets merged by a normal developer at some point. The offical dev-lisp category is in bad shape (== not usable at all), while the overlay is in great condition because of some dedicated users. V-Li -- Christian Faulhammer, Gentoo Lisp project <URL:>, #gentoo-lisp on FreeNode <URL:>