From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: per package eclass GLEP
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 17:30:32
1 On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 5:19 AM, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr."
2 <phajdan.jr@g.o> wrote:
3 > On 9/19/10 9:14 PM, Matti Bickel wrote:
4 >> So, yeah, what do you think? Is it worth it?
5 >
6 > I second this GLEP. It seems like it will cleanly replace our hacked
7 > eblits implementations from packages like php, glibc, and possibly more.
8 >
9 > Also, it will allow more code sharing between ebuilds, which is good.
10
11 How does it provide more code sharing than the existing system?
12
13 Previously I could put code I wanted shared:
14 1) In a global eclass, which means any ebuild in the tree can likely use it
15 2) In a pkg eblit
16
17 Under the new system I can put the code:
18
19 1) In a global eclass, any ebuild can likely use it
20 2) In a per-package eclass, only one package can use it
21 3) In a pkg eblit, only one package can use it
22
23 Wouldn't taking code from a global eclass and moving it to a
24 per-package eclass limit code re-use?
25
26 -A
29 > Paweł