From: Ionen Wolkens <ionen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] <non-maintainer-commits-welcome/> proposal
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2022 03:24:36
1 On Mon, Jul 04, 2022 at 10:53:41PM -0400, Ionen Wolkens wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jul 04, 2022 at 10:49:25PM -0400, Ionen Wolkens wrote:
3 > > On Mon, Jul 04, 2022 at 04:19:12PM +0200, Florian Schmaus wrote:
4 > > > I'd like to propose a new metadata XML element for packages:
5 > > >
6 > > > <non-maintainer-commits-welcome/>
7 > > >
8 > > > Maintainers can signal to other developers (and of course contributors
9 > > > in general) that they are happy with others to make changes to the
10 > > > ebuilds without prior consultation of the maintainer.
11 > > >
12 > > > Of course, this is not a free ticket to always make changes to packages
13 > > > that you do not maintain without prior consultation of the maintainer. I
14 > > > would expect people to use their common sense to decide if a change may
15 > > > require maintainer attention or not. In general, it is always a good
16 > > > idea to communicate changes in every case.
17 > > >
18 > > > The absence of the flag does not automatically allow the conclusion that
19 > > > the maintainer is opposed to non-maintainer commits. It just means that
20 > > > the maintainer's stance is not known. I do not believe that we need a
21 > > > <non-maintainer-commits-disallowed/> flag, but if the need arises, we
22 > > > could always consider adding one. Although, in my experience, people
23 > > > mostly like to communicate the "non-maintainer commits welcome" policy
24 > > > with others.
25 > > >
26 > > > WDYT?
27 > >
28 > > Personally I think something per-maintainer rather than per package
29 > > would be simpler, and allow to say more as needed.
30 >
31 > ... and that could also extend to projects so can clarify policy in
32 > a single place that's easy to find.
33 >
34 > Like base-system@ probably do not want random uninformed commits,
35 > but games@, sound@, and such?
36
37 Also, for projects, presenting it more as exception rules makes sense.
38 Especially for all these semi-random understaffed projects, there's
39 really a handful that would have some "do nots".
43 > > Think like devaway instructions, but something more permanent and
44 > > not for being away, e.g.
45 > > "feel free to touch my packages except this big important one, and
46 > > or do or do not do this to them"
47
48 -'or do' :eyes:
49
50 To add more as an example, personally I don't mind non-maintainer commits
51 but don't particularly want people to start full on bumping my packages
52 when I /do/ intend to handle them in a timely fashion and probably had
53 plans for them, perhaps even already a local WIP ebuild and such. So
54 I'd likely have something along these lines. A simple tag feels like a
55 bit too "free for all".
56
57 On a related note, perhaps QA team could even be allowed to give
58 instructions themselves when a maintainer is generally unresponsive
59 and is giving no instructions to go with that.
62 > > >
63 > > > - Flow
64 > > >
65 > >