From: Andrea Barisani <lcars@g.o>
To: Lisa Seelye <lisa@g.o>
Cc: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>, Olivier Cr?te <tester@g.o>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: GLEP 19 -- Gentoo Stable Portage Tree
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 11:03:01
1 On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 03:32:14PM -0500, Lisa Seelye wrote:
2 >
3 > What I think would be beneficial is to have a variable inside the
4 > make.conf (and make.globals) to the effect of:
5 >
6 > QUARTERLY_UPDATE_FREQUENCY='12' # update once every 3 years
7 > QUARTERLY_UPDATE_FREQUENCY='-1' # never update
8 > QUARTERLY_UPDATE_FREQUENCY='0' # update whenever there is a new update
9 > (current behavior)
10 >
11 > This would necessitate a file to tell Portage when the last quarterly
12 > update was applied.
13 >
14 > You may ask "Why even have these variables?" With security updates it
15 > may be beneficial to have `emerge -u world' imply the following logic:
16 >
17 > Basically:
18 > if (quarters elapsed since last full update > quarter limit) then
19 > apply all updates
20 > else if (security updates are available) then
21 > apply all security updated updates
22 > else
23 > do nothing
24 > fi
25 >
26 > (I can draw a diagram if necessary...)
29 I personally like this kind of approach. In fact I think that we should not
30 complicate things by adding a lot of 'stable' keywords, not to mention 'stability
31 levels', they are good concepts in theory but they would create more problems
32 than they solve.
33
34 Some sort of automation integrated with some kind of 'production stable'
35 keywords/tag would be easy to maintain leaving to ebuild mantainers only
36 the responsability of overriding those make.conf settings when major updates are
37 accomplished (security related and/or critical ones).
38
39 So basically we have:
40
41 if (quarters elapsed since last full update > quarter limit) then
42 apply all updates
43 else if (security updates are available) then
44 apply all security updated updates
45 else if
46 new production tagged ebuild
47 apply updates
48 else
49 do nothing
50 fi
53 Hope this does not sound too silly :)
54
55 Bye
58 Andrea Barisani <lcars@g.o> .*.
59 Gentoo Linux Infrastructure Developer V
60 ( )
61 GPG-Key 0x864C9B9E http://dev.gentoo.org/~lcars/pubkey.asc ( )
62 0A76 074A 02CD E989 CE7F AC3F DA47 578E 864C 9B9E ^^_^^
65 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list