From: Jakub Moc <jakub.moc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The future of ebuild
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 10:59:43
1 Santiago M. Mola napsal(a):
2 > This is not going to happen. "Migrating to Nix" means "rewriting the
3 > distro from scratch". If you´re interested in a distro built on top
4 > of Nix, you can try NixOS (which looks really nice IMO).
5 >
6 > Regards,
7 > Santiago
8
9 While we are switching the whole tree to Nix, I'd strongly advocate that:
10
11 1/ All ebuilds must be rewritten in whitespace [1]; that will have the
12 great side-effect that all those pesky whitespace repoman checks will
13 start to be meaningful finally.
14
15 2/ All eclasses must be rewritten in Piet [2] at the same time, so that
16 we make dev's life a bit more colorful once the former step. is
17 finished. There is already a platform-independent IDE ready for this
18 purpose after all [3].
19
20 Since the benefits of the above are so obvious, I suppose this doesn't
21 even require a GLEP and the porting work should therefore start
22 immediately to make it in time for 2008.0.
23
24 Have a nice day. :P
25
26 [1] http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/whitespace/
27 [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piet_(programming_language)
28 [3] http://www.rapapaing.com/piet/
32 Best regards,
33
34 Jakub Moc
35 mailto:jakub@g.o
36 GPG signature:
37 http://subkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xCEBA3D9E
38 Primary key fingerprint: D2D7 933C 9BA1 C95B 2C95 B30F 8717 D5FD CEBA
39 3D9E
40
41 ... still no signature ;)
45 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list