From: Mounir Lamouri <volkmar@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>, dberkholz@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [gsoc-status] portage backend for PackageKit (2)
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 19:35:31
1 Hi,
2
3 Here I come again with another gsoc update. Nearly weekly (10 days) but
4 still better than nothing ;)
5
6 Last time, I was talking about an ebuild for packagekit soon. Actually,
7 packagekit is not useful without a pretty frontend. I am using
8 gnome-packagekit but packagekit and gnome-packagekit moved to
9 policykit-0.92 and gnome-policykit-0.92 which are new. Policykit-0.92 is
10 masked in the tree (thanks mrpouet) but gnome-policykit is nowhere at
11 the moment. So as I'm not able to add gnome-policykit. Ebuilds are going
12 to wait.
13 A probable fix will be to add packagekit masked in the tree and
14 gnome-packagekit with gnome-policykit in gnome-overlay. We will see.
15
16 So, where is portage support in packagekit ?
17 We know have a support for all functionalities. Even repository
18 management with layman api. By the way, with zmedico, we were talking
19 about a possible merge of layman in portage (ie. have a repository
20 management system directly in portage). It could be done maybe at the
21 end of the gsoc or even after.
22 Now, I'm working on having a clean and best as possible portage
23 management with packagekit. For example, packagekit is having a filter
24 system which help user to filter showed content (mostly when searching
25 something). Some filters proposed by packagekit can't be added now
26 because portage/ebuilds don't support them but they could be good adds
27 for Gentoo ebuilds. I will speak about them in a further email. They are
28 not needed for my gsoc because that's clearly not key features but for
29 further developments, that would be great to have them.
30
31 So, next developments are going to improve integration for search-* and
32 get-* functions. Basically, every non-critical functions. That will be
33 done by discussing portage needs and adding messages / errors specific
34 to portage if needed.
35 After that, install-* and update-* functions will have to be improved.
36 That will surely be a bigger work.
37
38 Thanks for reading.
39