From: Alain Penders <alain@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GUI installer
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 16:33:34
The main installer that was being worked on is Cursing Cow.  Both developers
that were working on it recently left Gentoo, however.

If someone wanted to continue it's development, we probably can get the
information needed from them.  From what I know, it's in pretty good
condition...  part of it needed to be rewritten, but nothing major.

There's at least one (I think two) other installers in CVS, but I have no idea
on their status or where they were left at.

Building a good installer goes beyond installing Gentoo.  For example, if the
installer has a module to configure networking, that module should be written
so that it works in the installer, but also in an after-install system
configuration tool.   Installers also need to be able to handle updates or
"corrective installs", which means integration with configuration file