From: Andrew Cowie <andrew@×××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New PKGDIR=$PORTDIR/packages/$CHOST
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2004 05:24:02
1 On Sun, 2004-08-01 at 06:02 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > | [And note, I actually think the argument we all tend to use to -march
3 > | in CFLAGS is, in Gentoo's world, the relevant "architecture"]
4 >
5 > -march= is an x86 thing which is going to go away at some point. The
6 > correct way to do it is to use either CHOST or CCHOST.
7
8 Ok, fine, but the mandated CHOST of "i686-pc-linux-gnu" doesn't actually
9 sufficiently describe the limitations of code generated - if I'm
10 compiling pentium3 code, the it won't run on a i686.
11
12 I poked around looking for definitions of CCHOST; I read
13 crosscompile.eclass and it seems not to differentiate in the pentium
14 family newer than pentium II (i686).
15
16 Or are you saying that you expect Gentoo to drop support for compiling
17 specific processor optimizations provided by GCC?
18
19 AfC