From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Making built_with_use die by default with EAPI 2
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 01:15:52
1 On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 22:05:43 +0300
2 Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Alexis Ballier kirjoitti:
5 > > Hi,
6 > >
7 > >> When EAPI 2 goes live built_with_use should probably die for most
8 > >> cases.
9 > >
10 > > I don't understand here: you mean die like being removed or die like
11 > > the die call in an ebuild? If I understood correctly the following
12 > > it should be the latter.
15 > Well we could go with either but if there are valid use cases we need
16 > to go with the latter.
17 >
18 > >> Are there valid use cases for built_with_use that are not
19 > >> covered by the use deps in EAPI 2?
20 > >
21 > > I can think of checks like:
22 > > - foo is a dep/rdep of bar
23 > > - foo has a "plugin like" architecture
24 > > - bar will "work" with minimal foo
25 > > - most people will expect some features in bar that come with foo's
26 > > plugins
27 > > - we might want to display warnings for the most useful features
28 > > - having useflags in bar for each of foo's useflags doesn't seem
29 > > wise
32 > > Ok that's not really a nice example but I can't think of anything
33 > > better at the moment.
34 > >
35 > > By the way, how will the --missing option of built_with_use be
36 > > handled by eapi 2?
37 > >
38 > > Alexis.
39 >
40 > Why should it be any different than what it is now?
41
42 i still don't get what you're saying. using built_with_use should die
43 as in cause the ebuild to exit with an error code? or that we should
44 stop using it for checking use flags?
45
46 there are plenty of reasons for using built_with_use that have nothing
47 to do with dependencies. i use it in the wxwidgets eclass to determine
48 what possible configuration tuple(s) the user can have installed.
49 toolchain.eclass uses it for some cross-compile logic. in many cases
50 it's simply used to display elog messages conditionally.
51
52 so, please don't make it "die" or i will be ":("
56 gcc-porting, by design, by neglect
57 treecleaner, for a fact or just for effect
58 wxwidgets @ gentoo EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662