From: "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 49 - take 2
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 16:06:44
1 Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > On Monday 22 May 2006 17:29, Grant Goodyear wrote:
3 >> Jon Portnoy wrote: [Mon May 22 2006, 09:38:23AM CDT]
4 >>
5 >>> On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 09:21:34AM -0400, Ned Ludd wrote:
6 >>>> Please don't change your wording on that. The feel really strongly
7 >>>> about the primary pkg manager of Gentoo needing remain under the
8 >>>> full control of Gentoo Linux.
9 >>> Agreed, I'm of the opinion it would be inappropriate to let an
10 >>> outside entity steer our primary package manager.
11 >> I'm not sure I understand why. After all, mandriva, suse, ubuntu, and
12 >> many others have survived quite well. More to the point, though, it's
13 >> not clear to me what awful things happen if Gentoo does not own the
14 >> package manager code, as long as that code is under a reasonable
15 >> license. Suppose that such a package manager did became a Gentoo
16 >> default, and at some point the program diverged from what Gentoo really
17 >> wanted; wouldn't Gentoo then just fork the package manager? Am I
18 >> missing something obvious?
19 >
20 > There are serious costs involved with forking something. For gentoo this
21 > would include image problems by being seen as "evil" forkers. Also
22 > mandriva, suse, ubuntu etc. distinguish themselves from the pack in which
23 > packages are offered in which configuration. Gentoo differs from that in
24 > that users can determine the configuration. The package manager directly
25 > influences the freedom available for the users. Making binary and source
26 > distros not easilly comparable.
27 >
28 > Paul
31 So what you really meant to say was, "I don't have a good answer, so
32 I'll make something up which makes no sense."
33
34 -Steve
35 --
36 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list