From: Theo Chatzimichos <tampakrap@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Split desktop profile patches & news item for review
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 09:47:56
1 On Friday 12 March 2010 10:36:57 Mart Raudsepp wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2010-03-11 at 23:20 +0100, Ben de Groot wrote:
3 > > On 11 March 2010 21:20, Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o> wrote:
4 > > > On Thu, 2010-03-11 at 02:36 +0100, Ben de Groot wrote:
5 > > >> Seeing as there were no further comments, I think we are good to go!
6 > > >
7 > > > I suggest reading my comments...
8 > >
9 > > Unless I missed something, you didn't make any comments on this
10 > > thread.
11 >
12 > The subthread got renamed to more fit its purpose.
13 >
14 > > If you mean the thread you started that tangentially took off from this
15 > > one, about eselect profile improvements: I support that proposal,
16 > > but it will take some time to get implemented. Is anyone already
17 > > working on that?
18 > >
19 > > In the meantime I see no reason for that to halt or postpone the
20 > > current desktop profile improvements as prepared by Theo.
21 >
22 > I argued that it's a bad idea to add yet more profiles, when we could
23 > avoid that (while even improving things additionally).
24 >
25 > But I guess I'll have to bring some direct points why I think
26 > implementing the alternative as I described ASAP is better than ever
27 > doing this gnome/kde subprofile thing:
28 >
29 > * The split desktop profile plan retroactively modifies 2008.0 and 10.0
30 > profiles. Not a good thing for obvious reasons. (Of course the
31 > subprofiles could also be added together with a new release, as proposed
32 > for the alternative idea)
33 > * Adding yet more subprofiles, increasing repoman and pcheck time,
34 > possibly confusing users (migration things; changing USE flags in a
35 > perceived stable release profile leading to unexpected --newuse
36 > triggering, etc)
37 > * Making it harder to get both GNOME and KDE things out of a profile
38 > (though the common things in desktop profile right now is quite
39 > suboptimal for GNOME)
40 > * Putting the problem of suboptimal subprofiles handling under the
41 > carpet again, greatly reducing the motivation for people to work on the
42 > alternative better proposal
45 First of all, I'll delay the commit since I need to write documentation
46 patches, and I won't be able, as I'll leave soon for a conference and will be
47 back on Monday. Maybe I'll find time to prepare something there, but I can't
48 promise.
49
50 Now, to reply to Mart:
51
52 I found your proposal about mixing profiles awesome, and I am willing to work
53 on this. In fact, I'm going to raise the issue on KDE's meeting this Thursday
54 at 20:00 UTC. Any freedesktop team members will be welcome there. But I'm not
55 going to step up from the current workaround I worked on, as things are not
56 that tragic. I will document and announce everything, and I will be watching
57 forums and IRC for some days to provide support. The only real problem in my
58 opinion would be this, people get confused about useflags and unexpected --
59 newuse results. (btw I already announced it once in my blog, I will do it
60 again, and we'll also provide a news item, so I doubt this is even a real
61 problem as well). To sum up:
62 1) Not oblious to me? / Not bad from my point of view?
63 2) I doubt users will be conflicted, I'll benchmark repoman and hit back
64 3) agreed, but i don't see a problem there
65 4) I'll be the motivator for this :)
66 --
67 Theo Chatzimichos (tampakrap)
68 Gentoo KDE/Qt Teams