From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: What's up with the binutils (arch unstable) downgrade?
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 20:28:42
1 Travis Tilley posted <200407260651.09949.lv@g.o>, excerpted below,
2 on Mon, 26 Jul 2004 06:51:09 -0400:
3
4 > On Monday 26 July 2004 05:53 am, Duncan wrote:
5 >> I've kept my now arch keywordless binutils, pending a bit more info.
6 >>
7 >> One more line describing /why/ the testing failed, causing the keyword
8 >> revocation, would likely have been /incredibly/ helpful.
9 >
10 > it spews a frightening number of (non-fatal) warnings while compiling a
11 > kernel and i have one person who is getting a BFD internal error. I
12 > removed the ~amd64 keyword more because i dont trust it and to be cautious
13 > than anything else.
14
15 Thanks. That's what I was looking for.
16
17 I /did/ see some rather "interesting" warnings, compiling perl (rev-dep
18 rebuild as suggested after a different update), in its test phase.
19 Something about missing symbols for a couple of the tests. However,
20 anybody that's running amd64 and actually watches the compiler output
21 should be used to various rather fearsome looking warnings scrolling by,
22 by now, and unless I have problems with the resulting binary or those
23 warnings turn to errors, I've learned to ignore most of them. Nothing
24 unusual with the latest 2.6.8-rc2 kernel.org kernel, however. <shrug>
25
26 And, as I said, my system is more stable now than it has ever been, so I'm
27 not wanting to unnecessarily rock the boat! <g> (I've alway been less
28 stable that I expected, but part of it was memory timing issues, combined
29 with SMP and the still relatively new AMD64 arch. Changed a BIOS setting
30 and haven't crashed yet, with the 2.6.8-rc2 kernel, tho I was still
31 experiencing occasional crashes on 2.7.0, both compiled with the in
32 question binutils. Hopin' to KEEP it uncrashed!)
33
34 (BTW, /thought/ I posted that to amd64, not devel, but oh, well.. <g>)
38 "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
39 temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --
40 Benjamin Franklin
45 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list