From: Alex Alexander <wired@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] have portage be quiet by default
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 12:28:09
1 On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 07:19:35AM -0800, Zac Medico wrote:
2 > On 11/14/2011 12:25 AM, Alex Alexander wrote:
3 > > On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 05:59:21PM -0800, Zac Medico wrote:
4 > >> Well, it's much easier to gather interest and get feedback if we deploy
5 > >> the change and ask questions later.
6 > >
7 > > What if we tried solving this problem by providing more options instead
8 > > of trying to guess what the users want? :)
9 > >
10 > > Imagine the following output (when jobs == 1):
11 > >
12 > >>>> Verifying ebuild manifests
13 > >>>> Emerging (1 of 1) www-client/chromium-16.0.912.36
14 > >>>> Quiet building enabled. Enable for [P]ackage or [S]ession. [L]earn more.
15 > >>>> Jobs: 0 of 1 complete, 1 running Load avg: 0.23, 0.18, 0.10
16 > >
17 > > Pressing P would only show the log for the actively built package.
18 > > Pressing S would show all the logs for this session, starting with the
19 > > active one.
20 > >
21 > > Pressing L would print out a short set of instructions, something
22 > > like:
23 > >
24 > > "To make portage output easier to track and understand, --quiet-build
25 > > has been enabled by default. You may restore the old, verbose behavior
26 > > temporarily by using the P and S commands, or permanently by adding
27 > > '--quiet-build=n' to your make.conf's EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS."
28 > >
29 > > I believe many users would appreciate the ability to output logs on
30 > > demand. :)
31 >
32 > I think that would be an interesting option. We could put stdin in raw
33 > mode, like dispatch-conf does, in order to read single characters of
34 > input instead of whole lines.
35 >
36 > I can imagine that this option wouldn't be desired by some people, if
37 > only because emerge would consume all keystrokes from the input buffer.
38 > In the past we had a few portage releases that consumed keystrokes like
39 > that (it was part of the support for interactive ebuilds), and I recall
40 > someone (I think it was grobian) complaining because he had a habit of
41 > typing his next shell command before emerge had completed.
42
43 As long as everything is optional, I don't think we'll have any
44 reasonable complaints.
45
46 The stdin raw mode would only be enabled when --quiet-build=y and
47 --jobs=1. Any other combination would switch to standard mode and we
48 could also introduce an --allow-options=[y/n] (or similar) parameter for
49 those who want to completely disable the feature.
50
51 I'm confident many users that are currently against quiet-build would
52 consider it if they were provided with these options :)
53
54 Would it be difficult to implement?
55 --
56 Alex Alexander | wired