From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [news item review] bash-completion-2.1-r90, version 2
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 07:12:19
1 Michał Górny posted on Thu, 20 Nov 2014 12:22:53 +0100 as excerpted:
2
3 > Thirdly, we have solved the issue causing bash-completion support to be
4 > enabled by default on login shells only. If you needed to explicitly
5 > source 'bash_completion' script in bashrc, you can safely remove that
6 > code now since system-wide bashrc takes care of loading it.
7
8 FWIW, I lost bash-completion yesterday when I updated and both bash and
9 bash-completion were updated. Fortunately I remembered that bash-
10 completion's undergoing changes and the various discussion here (the
11 heads-up on such changes that I get here being a big reason I'm
12 subscribed), and was able to compare the binpkgs for the old and new
13 versions to figure out what happened.
14
15 It could be useful to say that if a user's custom config breaks, they
16 need to change it to source the file in the new location, /etc/bash/
17 bashrc.d/bash_completion.sh, and that while they are at it they might
18 want to simply source all (non-dot-file non-backup) files in that dir, as
19 it's a new directory location designed to have files dropped into it to
20 be sourced by bashrc, with such an approach being exactly what the
21 default solution does.
22
23 Or don't worry about it since users who have such custom configs should
24 be able to handle it themselves, but risk a wave of bugs when they can't/
25 don't, at least before filing the bug. Without the heads-up from here
26 I'd have certainly eventually figured it out, but it's an open question
27 whether I'd have figured out the problem before I filed a bug, myself.
28
29 (FWIW this is why a lot of news items end up pointing to a writeup on the
30 wiki or dev-space with more details, because at some point people realize
31 there's more detail there than appropriate for an ideally concise news
32 item, but providing that link with further detail ends up being easier
33 than dealing with the bug fallout if it's not provided. As the dev doing
34 it, your choice of course, either way.)
39 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman