From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ebuild revisions
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 14:47:20
1 On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 08:28:07 -0600 Andrew Gaffney
2 <agaffney@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 | Whenever an ebuild goes from say -r1 to -r2, that is just a revision
4 | of the ebuild, not the program itself, correct? If so, in most cases,
5 | you will get the exact same code generated, correct? If the first one
6 | works, what is the point of upgrading to the next revision to get the
7 | exact same code?
8
9 Incorrect. A revision bump will only be done if the installed code is
10 changed enough that the user should upgrade.
11
12 For example, if I added a minor compile fix to foo-1.0.ebuild, I
13 wouldn't do a revision bump. However, if I added a security or
14 functionality patch to foo-1.0.ebuild, or if I made significant changes
15 to foo's configuration files, I *would* bump it to-r1.
18 Ciaran McCreesh
19 Mail: ciaranm at gentoo.org
20 Web: http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm