From: Johannes Weiner <hnaz@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Pinboard of outdated ports
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 17:11:34
1 Outdated ebuild reporting system
2 --------------------------------
3
4 Why
5 Reporting outdated ebuilds via bugzilla is in my opinion not the best
6 solution.
7 An outdated port isn't really a 'bug' and so there are many obsolete
8 reporting fields when posting a too old ebuild. The process should be
9 handled on its own, more efficient and specific way.
10
11 Concept
12 A pinboard-like list that shows the developers outdated packages.
13 For this we need a form with:
14 * dropbox for the package category
15 * dropbox for the packagename itself (perhaps incl. version?)
16 * textbox for the target-version
17 - This will be compared with the portage version.
18 If the target-version and the portage version the same, the
19 entry will
20 be deleted. This helps to decrease the 0-days-spam. See below.
21
22 There should be a page before this form with a software-news-ticker,
23 like the Freshmeat RSS feed, and a note that nothing should be posted
24 that is listed here.
25 This will prevent at least some of the 0-days-spam.
26 Also a textfield where users have to agree with the conditions:
27
28 18:06 <ciaranm> include a textbox into which the user must type
29 "I am not spamming. I have left this for at least
30 a week following the announcement. I have checked
31 that the package is not already in the tree. I have
32 searched for existing bugs."
33
34 Good idea. :)
35
36 Problems
37 * 0-days-spammer
38 People who post all the most current news on freshmeat or other
39 announcements. Noone needs this, the devs can read for themselves.
40 To avoid 0-days-spamming there is the textbox ciaranm thought of.
41
42 * Endless list growing
43 To prevent the list from growing up like hell, there should be a
44 mechanism that compares the list entrys' target-versions with the
45 portage-version and removes the entry if the package is uptodate.
46
47 * More staff needed
48 Despite the autodeletion of uptodate packages there has to be
49 someone attending the list. Remove real spam or uptodate packages
50 where the targetversion is principally right but not in the correct
51 format, so the autodeletion doesn't match.
54 This is still expandable. This document will be updated at:
55 http://hnaz.exa-ds.com/files/update-pinboard.txt
56 For suggestions mail at:
57 hannes <hnaz@×××××××××××.org>
60 Today is Pungenday, the 70th day of Discord in the YOLD 3171