From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: RFC: install linux-firmware with kernel sources (was Re: [gentoo-dev] Lastrite: Firmware cleanup, part #1)
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 22:49:09
1 On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 1:06 PM, Bruno <bonbons67@××××××××.lu> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 10 February 2013 Maxim Kammerer <mk@×××.su> wrote:
3 >> On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 5:05 PM, Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
4 >> > I agree as I have also needed to google and search in forums to get
5 >> > proper firmware installed in the past in some machines :/
6 >>
7 >> for fw in $(strings -a -n 10 $(find /lib/modules -name '*.ko') | sed
8 >> -n 's/^firmware=//p' | sort -u); do
9 >> if [ ! -e /lib/firmware/${fw} ]; then
10 >> echo ${fw}
11 >> fi
12 >> done
13 >>
14 >> I guess you can do something similar with vmlinux.bin if compiling
15 >> modules into kernel.
16 >
17 > Last I looked into that the list of firmwares needed by built-in drivers
18 > is not available as is the case for modules (and in addition those
19 > built-in drivers may need the firmware long before /lib/firmware/ is
20 > available)
21
22 Most external firmware is not needed to boot. If you need it to boot,
23 you will have to stow it in the initramfs.
24
25 -A
28 > Bruno
29 >
30 >> Looking into kernel sources is more robust, but
31 >> gets annoying fast. Full script I am using is here:
32 >> https://github.com/mkdesu/liberte/blob/master/src/root/helpers/lst-firmwares
33 >>
34 >> You can encounter superfluous warnings with modules that support
35 >> multiple firmware subversions (e.g., iwlwifi).