From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo desktop system built with musl libc.
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 10:20:15
1 Hi everyone,
2
3 Tigger alert ... shameless plug. I sent the following to the musl-libc
4 email list yesterday. I thought other gentoo devs may be interested in
5 what I've been up to with musl:
8 I want to announce to the list that I've built and will be maintaining
9 three hardened, fully featured XFCE4 Gentoo desktop systems for amd64,
10 each based on glibc, uClibc and musl respectively. These are
11 affectionately called Bluemoon (glibc), Lilblue (uClibc) and Bluedragon
12 (musl) Gentoo Linux. You can download them from the release site [1]
13 where you'll find links to their home pages and how to install and
14 maintain them. Except for their libc and some minor details here and
15 there, I've tried to make them as identical as possible. They should
16 not be thought of as embedded in that they do not use busybox to provide
17 the system utilities. Rather they employ all the usual packages you'd
18 find on any regular Linux desktop. The are also "hardened" meaning that
19 they are built with our gcc specs which turn on ssp, pie, relro, bind
20 now and stack check by default, and they use a PaX/Grsecurity patched
21 kernel with all practical security features turned on.
22
23 In addition to the release tarballs, I'm also providing about 5000 extra
24 packages. Gentoo is a "from source" distribution and you can always try
25 to build packages from source on your local system, but Gentoo also
26 provides the possibility of using pre-compiled packages made available
27 from a binary package host (BINHOST). The package set for each system
28 is at links [2], [3] and [4]. Also, these systems can be maintained
29 like any other Gentoo system using portage and emerge, but I've also
30 written a new release engineering tool that allows the end user to
31 easily maintain each by tracking a "reference" system defined upstream.
32 You can read about the "Gentoo Reference System" suite at link [5].
33 Its a long document so you may want to read just the Intro and Quickstart.
34
35 The main reasons for building these systems was to 1) facilitate
36 comparisons between the three libc's and 2) to push the limits of each
37 to see what breaks, and then fix either the packages or the libc itself.
38 To this end, the GRS suite also acts like a poor-man's tinderbox and
39 provides build logs for packages which have failed. These can be seen
40 at links [6], [7] and [8]. Nonetheless, the systems are "useful". The
41 release tarballs come with abiword, gnumeric, the gimp, eog, hexchat,
42 mplayer and smplayer, midori web browser, claws-mail, and there are many
43 more packages on the BINHOST. The glibc and uClibc are polished and
44 work pretty much bug free. You'd expect that since the entire Gentoo
45 community works with Gentoo+glibc, and I've been working at
46 Gentoo+uClibc for a while fixing things. However the musl desktop is
47 the newest addition and it does have some issues. In particular, the
48 charset is messed up and I have yet to clean that up for the next
49 release. For reasons I don't understand yet I'm getting Japanese
50 characters sometimes.
51
52 Contribute if you can. You can open bugs on http://bugs.gentoo.org.
53 Mention that you're working with musl and not glibc and ask that the bug
54 be assigned to <blueness@g.o>.
57 [1] http://releases.freeharbor.net/
58 [2] http://bluemoon.freeharbor.net
59 [3] http://lilblue.freeharbor.net
60 [4] http://bluedragon.freeharbor.net
61 [5] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:RelEng_GRS
62 [6] http://bluemoon-tinderbox.freeharbor.net
63 [7] http://lilblue-tinderbox.freeharbor.net
64 [8] http://bluedragon-tinderbox.freeharbor.net
67 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
68 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
69 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
70 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
71 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA