From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Requirements for UID/GID management
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2017 03:03:20
1 Rich Freeman posted on Fri, 27 Jan 2017 16:23:02 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 3:09 PM, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
4 > wrote:
5 >> My first impression is that any package that doesn't care about its UID
6 >> should default to "first available", but if that causes problems, then
7 >> that's exactly the sort of use case I'm looking for.
10 > The ones I listed before were filesystems shared by multiple hosts,
11 > such as with nfs, containers, and chroots. Granted, there are ways to
12 > deal with this sort of thing, but if you want to share your /var/www
13 > across a bunch of apache servers it would be nice if they all had the
14 > same UID for apache.
15
16 That's what an admin should be taking care of... if they have reason
17 (like the given multiple machines accessing the same filesystem reason)
18 to care.
19
20 And the way they'd do it under this proposal is simple enough. Simply
21 stick the admin-uid/apache (or whatever) ebuild in their overlay,
22 uncomment the line in it that sets a specific UID instead of picking the
23 next one in sequence, and change that specific UID if necessary for their
24 installation.
25
26 The admin-uid/* ebuilds, meanwhile, could be pretty much empty save for
27 two assignment lines, the commented specific UID assignment and an
28 uncommented one listing the user name, and an eclass inherit, with the
29 eclass simply reading the assigned name and picking a UID randomly if
30 it's not already assigned, either by the user uncommenting the assignment
31 line in the ebuild in their overlay, or a previous installation.
32
33 Of course the eclass could also check for an override variable, which
34 would allow the user a second way of specifying UIDs -- via package.env
35 or the like, similar to the way git-r3 allows environmental override of
36 commit, etc.
37
38 (I say UID above, GID would be handled similarly, presumably in the same
39 ebuilds and eclass, with different vars, of course.)
44 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman