From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: "Sami Näätänen" <sn.ml@××××××××.com>, gentoo-dev List <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Speaking of new kernels being added to the tree
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 01:52:36
1 Unfortunately, this seems to be the "standard" way to do this. Once you
2 build and install a new kernel, you must rebuild all the existing deps
3 such as the above - ok thats fine, but my beef is that emerge uninstalls
4 the modules built into the old kernel when it builds for the new one,
5 leaving the old kernel crippled unless you remember to manually protect
6 the modules.
7
8 this something truly useful that genkernel could address.
9
10 Reading my previous email, it appears I imply that genkernel is of
11 little use. Quite the opposite, as well as new users, it has some good
12 uses on first install to set up unfamiliar hardware. Once running, you
13 can analyse it (lsmod etc) and set up a tuned manual configuration.
14 Hence why I am persevering with it.
15
16 BillK
17