From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo Prefix: on EPREFIX, ED and EROOT inside ebuilds
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 10:11:00
1 On 26-11-2009 10:01:24 +0000, Duncan wrote:
2 > > required dependencies for. Hence, ekeyword should be installed such
3 > > that it references the perl from the offset installation, e.g.
4 > > "/home/joe/gentoo/usr/bin/perl".
5 > >
6 > > "/bin/sh" is another nice one.
7 >
8 > At least here, that it would ordinarily be best to reference the prefix
9 > system was taken for granted, so when it's "absolutely necessary" to
10 > reference the host system is the interesting case, and how I parsed the
11 > request. You provided examples of just the opposite, the case I (and
12 > evidently Denis, if I parsed the request correctly) assumed to be normal,
13 > where referencing the prefix is strongly desirable or "absolutely
14 > necessary".
15
16 I see, thanks for bringing that up. To clarify (I hope this is):
17
18 Gentoo Prefix tries to be as much self-sufficient as possible, and hence
19 applications *must* not reference the host system, unless absolutely
20 necessary, such as for e.g. /lib/libc.so.
21
22 If Gentoo Prefix would not do this, Portage's dependencies would become
23 useless, and many uncontrollable and unpredictable errors may arise both
24 at compile time as well as at run time.
28 Fabian Groffen
29 Gentoo on a different level