From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Warn users not to do separate /usr partition without proper initramfs in the handbook?
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 17:39:38
1 On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 1:20 PM, David Leverton
2 <levertond@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Saturday 30 July 2011 14:55:23 Samuli Suominen wrote:
4 >> Someone mentioned NFS mount on /usr.  Do we have other reasons?  How
5 >> many users that might be?
6 >
7 > From /etc/conf.d/fsck, seems like a reason to keep the / FS as small as
8 > possible to reduce the amount of time spent waiting during boot:
9
10 Well, that only really has a benefit if the system can do something
11 useful between the time that root is mounted and /usr is mounted,
12 which is probably a "no."
13
14 In any case, I see this whole situation as being a bit of laziness -
15 individual packages are just breaking the rules rather than trying to
16 reform them. However, if this is the way of the universe I'd be fine
17 with just updating our docs and tools to handle /usr mounted by
18 initramfs. Almost all other distros use initramfs 100% of the time -
19 Gentoo is a bit unusual in that I'd say a good chunk of our users
20 don't use one at all.
21
22 Rich