From: Stuart Longland <redhatter@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Thoughts about broken package handling
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 12:30:14
1 On 06/26/11 15:44, Benedikt Böhm wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 4:59 AM, Stuart Longland <redhatter@g.o> wrote:
3 >> - revdep-rebuild (handles packages broken by soname changes, etc)
4 >
5 > solved by preserved-libs in portage-2.2
6
7 Hmmm, except that portage-2.2 isn't stable yet... indeed it isn't even
8 out of alpha yet. Not going to unleash that on my production systems.
9
10 The reason why some of these things get out of date to this extent is
11 because I'm in the "it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp much of the time,
12 and so outside the kernel and a few other applications, I just keep
13 things plodding along as they are.
14
15 I then get bitten a little when I go to update. Unstable portage is
16 kinda an iffy area when dealing with production machines... experimental
17 boxes, no worries... but not on machines I depend on for work.
18
19 >> - python-updater (handles Python module rebuilds after upgrading Python)
20 >> - perl-cleaner (handles Perl module rebuilds after upgrading Perl)
21 >
22 > these just exist because python and perl ebuilds are horribly broken.
23 > take a look at RUBY_TARGETS or PHP_TARGETS for an example of how to do
24 > it right. this would also fix all the failures that python and perl
25 > introduce to binary packages.
26
27 Perhaps there is room for improving things there... that's a more
28 long-term solution however. This will require some careful forethought.
29
30 Modifying the above tools though, to spit out a list of packages,
31 shouldn't be much of a change... and then making a tool that can collate
32 this information and merge it (revdep-rebuild has this code already)
33 shouldn't be that much of a burden to maintain in the short term.
34 --
35 Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL) .'''.
36 Gentoo Linux/MIPS Cobalt and Docs Developer '.'` :
38 http://dev.gentoo.org/~redhatter :.'
39
40 I haven't lost my mind...
41 ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.