From: Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dependencies that're available at pkg_*inst
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 20:32:35
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 21:45:13 -0700
3 > Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> I'd go with RDEPEND only. Any other interpretation results in
6 >> installing build-time-only packages along with a binpkg, which
7 >> doesn't seem to make sense.
10 > That's definitely not what we want. Only a package's DEPENDs have to be
11 > installed and usable when that package is built. Its RDEPENDs don't
12 > have to be installed until that package is treated as usable.
13 >
14 > For why this matters:
15 >
16 > cat/a-1: RDEPEND cat/b
17 > cat/b-1: RDEPEND cat/a
18 >
19 > This is solvable. If package managers can't solve this, they can't
20 > install Gnome off a stage 3...
23 I think Donnie (and I) are both looking for concrete examples here.
24 You're claiming GNOME can't be installed so please give us an example
25 with in-tree packages where this breaks.
26 --
27 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list