From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New category: net-voip
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 14:56:05
On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 11:10:51 -0400 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o> wrote:
| Every single year quarter after quarter the more updates
| that happen the slower portage is becoming.
| Care to solve that?

This is a minute amount of time in comparison to anything significant.
If you care about Portage speed, you'd be far better off reducing the
number of packages that users have installed and reducing the number of
packages in the tree.

| My fix would be to remove the ability to do package moves
| from portage all together.

Which makes me rather glad that you're not fixing anything...

| >   i dont think this sort of thing should hold up tree
| > shuffles ...
|
| Well it should.
|
| package.keywords package.use package.mask etc..
|
| Where is the stability and consistency when we end up
| forcing people to update /etc/portage files...

Erm... Portage updates these automatically.

--
Ciaran McCreesh
Mail            : ciaran dot mccreesh at blueyonder.co.uk