From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New category: net-voip
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 14:56:05
1 On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 11:10:51 -0400 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o> wrote:
2 | Every single year quarter after quarter the more updates
3 | that happen the slower portage is becoming.
4 | Care to solve that?
5
6 This is a minute amount of time in comparison to anything significant.
7 If you care about Portage speed, you'd be far better off reducing the
8 number of packages that users have installed and reducing the number of
9 packages in the tree.
10
11 | My fix would be to remove the ability to do package moves
12 | from portage all together.
13
14 Which makes me rather glad that you're not fixing anything...
15
16 |
17 | > i dont think this sort of thing should hold up tree
18 | > shuffles ...
19 |
20 | Well it should.
21 |
22 | package.keywords package.use package.mask etc..
23 |
24 | Where is the stability and consistency when we end up
25 | forcing people to update /etc/portage files...
26
27 Erm... Portage updates these automatically.
30 Ciaran McCreesh
31 Mail : ciaran dot mccreesh at blueyonder.co.uk
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list