From: AGottinger@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Long Time No See
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 10:07:15
1 "Jerry A!" wrote:
2 >
3 > Hey everyone, first, I want to apologize for falling off the face of the
4 > earth. The "real job" has kept me way too busy for the past two months.
5 > Unfortunately, this has made a noticable impact on my Gentoo
6 > contributions.
7
8 Hi Jerry,
9
10 welcome back. Daniel and I have similar real job problems at the moment,
11 so development
12 goes a bit slow.
15 > Well, the good news is that my schedule is starting to open up. So, I'm
16 > trying to get back into the swing of things. Unfortunately, my current
17 > Gentoo box is horribly out-of-date. I'd like to get it up to speed
18 > before I start making commits to the cvs tree.
19 >
20 > So, could some kind soul please tell me where I should be at? Mostly,
21 > I'm looking for what the latest ISO should be. What updates I should
22 > be installing, and what revision of portage I should be running with?
25 Latest iso is still rc4_pre. I made a up to date build.tbz2
26 (gentoo-x86-dist/gentoo-1.0_rc4/packages/build-20010404.tbz2) yesterday,
27 but
28 portage is a bit flakey at the moment so it is a good idea to wait till
29 the bugs
30 are fixed, before you try to update.
31
32 I have reworked the half of our packages for rc4. Take a look at
33 current-packages.rc4.
34 I decided to force myself to rework at least 10 packages a day to get
35 this stuff done.
36
37 The latest portage package includes a new script called emerg. Once it
38 works it recursively compiles
39 all required packages. So you can grab the build.tbz2 and say emerge
40 kdebase-2.1.1.ebuild and everything
41 that kde base-2.1.1 depends on get build automatic.
42
43 We are working on documentation right now. Daniel has defined an XML
44 format called guide(like docbook but simpler). Take a look at
45 app-doc/gentoo-web you will find a guide->html xslt stylesheet there and
46 a few
47 guide-style xml docs. You will need gnome-libs/libxml2 and
48 gnome-libs/libxslt to use the stylesheet.
49
50 bye achim~
53 for
54
55 > Also, if there are any snags or gotchas that I should be aware of, I
56 > would appreciate it.
57 >
58 > Thanks in advance...
59 >
60 > --Jerry
61 >
62 > name: Jerry Alexandratos || Open-Source software isn't a
63 > phone: 703.599.6023 || matter of life or death...
64 > email: jerry@×××××××.org || ...It's much more important
65 > || than that!
68 > gentoo-dev mailing list
69 > gentoo-dev@g.o