From: Sean Mitchell <SMitchell@×××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] Kernel Dependency Question
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 09:12:00
1 -----Original Message-----
2 From: AGottinger@××××××××.de [mailto:AGottinger@××××××××.de]
3 Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2001 9:33 AM
4 To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
5 Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Kernel Dependency Question
6
7 >> If I install linux-sources-xxxxx and then build myself a kernel, it seems
8 >> that any package that requires linux-kernel-xxxxx goes ahead and installs
9 >> it.
10 >>
11 >> It seems to me that the sources should (once compiled) give me eveything
12 the
13 >> kernel package gives me. Is this the case or am I missing something? I
14 >> suppose I could change the deps in the ebuild but it would be better if
15 >> there was some sort of global override. I RTFM but didn't see anything
16 that
17 >> explained this to me.
18
19 > All packages should depend on virtual/kernel which is provided by linux
20 > and linux-sources.
21 > But only linux and linux-extras provide virtual/alsa which is required
22 > by some packages.
23 > So you must install linux-extras after you builded and installed your
24 > kernel.
25
26 Ah-ha! This was indeed the root of the trouble. I installed linux-extras and
27 now the dependencies on linux-kernel have gone away. Thanks!
28
29 BTW, you guys have done/are doing a great job with Gentoo Linux. This is
30 exactly the sort of distribution I've been looking for after my travels in
31 BSDland.
32
33 Sean
34
36 Sean Mitchell Software Engineer
37 smitchell@×××××××××××××××××××.com Phoenix Interactive Design Inc
38 tel. 519-679-2913 x237 4th Floor, 137 Dundas St
39 fax. 519 679 6773 London, ON, Canada N6A 1E9
40 ICQ# 104246806