From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Pending removal(?) of media-libs/pdflib
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 08:56:42
1 >>>>> On Tue, 22 Feb 2011, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2
3 >> sci-visualization/gnuplot[pdf] is currently linking against pdflib.
4 >> I'm going to remove that dependency, because in my understanding,
5 >> clause 2.1 of the PDFLite license does not allow such linking. (It
6 >> allows it for programs under an OSI approved license. However, the
7 >> gnuplot license is free, but not OSI approved.)
8
9 > that might disallow it for binaries, but it doesnt disallow it from
10 > being used in ebuilds. same situation as binary kernel drivers --
11 > make it the end user's problem.
12
13 Why should we impose such trouble on our users, when there's a (IMHO
14 superior) replacement? Build gnuplot with USE="cairo" and you can get
15 PDF output with the "pdfcairo" terminal. Even with proper utf-8
16 support, which was always broken with pdflib.
17
18 Ulrich