From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reverse use of Python/Ruby versions
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 16:04:19
1 On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 08:37:34 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > It is always nice when a person who:
5
6 Starts off with insults and rudeness... Why I avoid you and I have
7 requested MULITPLE times you just avoid me. Almost did not reply, but
8 unlike your comments I will stick to FACTS.
9
10 > a. did not bother to do any research on the topic (such as reading
13 Research was done in the form of packaging some python applications.
14 Also having worked with OTHER languages and teams on Gentoo. There are
15 other ways of doing things. For those who are open minded to
16 considering improvements.
17
18 > b. has barely any clue (if any at all) about Python ecosystem or
19 > package maintenance in Gentoo,
20
21 Again I have recently packaged some python libraries and applications.
22 I personally maintain some 300+ Java ebuilds and others.
23 https://github.com/Obsidian-StudiosInc/os-xtoo
24
25 I think I have a clue when it comes to package maintenance. I was doing
26 it as a Developer back in 2006 thru 2008...
27 https://github.com/wltjr?tab=overview&from=2006-12-01&to=2006-12-31
28
29 > c. is either completely ignorant of how Python packages worked in the
30 > past (which quite proves the points made above) or presumes that they
31 > were changed for no reason by incompetent developers,
32
33 I have seen it evolve ever since 3.x came out in 2008. The situation
34 was never good and should have gone a different route from the start.
35 Thankfully Java went a different route and other teams never shared the
36 same approach. It is long over due to consider a better way.
37
38 > decides that the workflow of Python team needs to be changed and goes
39 > to discuss it on the mailing list with other people who barely do any
40 > Python work.
41
42 Because of how Python is handled on Gentoo. As a developer I would
43 NEVER use python. Just working with a few python libraries and apps,
44 packaging them. Its a PITA compared to Java.
45
46 If for no other reason than I have to go touch the ebuilds anytime a
47 Python version is added or removed. Same for Ruby. That is dumb...
48
49 There are some 1600 Python ebuilds. That is ALLOT of work to fiddle
50 with adding/removing targets as new things come and go... Working with
51 hundreds of ebuilds myself. I can easily understand the magnitude of
52 such changes.
53
54 Even my fully automated scripts, take considerable time to make minor
55 changes across lots of ebuilds. If humans have to do this, it will take
56 MUCH longer. Who wants to waste their time on such?
57
58 Its funny. In the days of CI and CD, we must manually mess with
59 targets.... There has to be a better way. If not what I am suggesting
60 some other. I do not see any other solutions suggested. Just negativity,
61 insults, and lack of any real facts just opinion and rudeness.
62
63 Typical status quo...
66 William L. Thomson Jr.