From: John Richard Moser <nigelenki@×××××××.net>
To: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stack smash protected daemons
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 21:32:43
2 Hash: SHA1
6 Lance Albertson wrote:
7 | John Richard Moser wrote:
8 [...]
9 |
10 | Uhm, I think the hardened project already takes care of these issues
11 you're
12 | talking about unless I'm misunderstanding it. Check out the hardened
13 website [1]
14 | and see if that solves the problems you're talking about. The best way
15 is to
16
17 I use the stuff coming out of the Hardened Gentoo project regularly.
18 Hardened allows a user to create basically a fortress for a system; what
19 is being suggested here is to allow a user to set their system to shield
20 the most exposed packages (i.e. daemons) from potential attacks on
21 undiscovered security vulnerabilities without compiling an entire system
22 - -fstack-protector
26 On a side note, does Gentoo officially support -fstack-protector? I
27 know that if you file a bug using rediculous CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp
28 - -msse -m3dnow -mmmx -O99 -mfpmath=sse,387 -freduce-all-givs
29 - -fnumber-crunch -fmake-tasks-haul-ass" it gets marked INVALID; but what
30 about -fstack-protector? That's supported by the hardened team, and
31 it's fairly safe IMHO. How about something in the comments of make.conf
32 like:
33
34 # CPU types supported in gcc-2.95*: k6, i386, i486, i586 (Pentium), i686
35 # (Pentium Pro), pentium, pentiumpro Gentoo Linux 1.2 and below use
36 # gcc-2.95*
37 #
38 # The security concious could add -fstack-protector to CFLAGS as well,
39 # for some added security (see SSPDAEMONS below for FEATURES). This
40 # should be safe; if something breaks, bug bugs.gentoo.org
41 #
42 # Decent examples:
43
44 Leave it out of the example and default flags; but it's a harmless
45 enough feature with good bonuses. Eh, maybe that's a stretch? I tend
46 to recommend to people asking me to help them install Gentoo to put that
47 in, and they tend not to have any problems (at least they never tell me
48 about it); besides, it has to work anyway, as the hardened herd supports
49 it. If it breaks something that's definitely a problem for Hardened. :P
50
51 [...]
52
53 |
54
55 - --
56 All content of all messages exchanged herein are left in the
57 Public Domain, unless otherwise explicitly stated.
58
69 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list