From: Christian Hoffmann <hoffie@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] USE=threads vs. USE=threadsafe
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2008 18:25:34
1 Heya,
2
3 while I was emerging dev-libs/sqlite, I noticed that it uses
4 USE=threadsafe to distinguish between threadsafe and non-threadsafe
5 builds. While this is not strange per-se, lots of (?) other packages
6 seem to make that decision based on USE=threads (dev-lang/php,
7 dev-db/postgresql-base, ...).
8 I think we should be consistent here, i.e. either change the two
9 packages, which are using USE=threadsafe (dev-libs/sqlite and
10 dev-lang/spidermonkey), to use "threads" instead or the other way round.
11 I guess the easiest way would be to move from "threadsafe" to "threads",
12 but I'm not sure whether this is really the better alternative.
13 "threadsafe" sounds more appropriate to me in those cases, but there
14 would probably be a huge amount of work required to change that.
15 Now the question is: What do you think is the better way of making this
16 consistent? :)
19 Christian Hoffmann