From: "Rick \\\"Zero_Chaos\\\" Farina" <zerochaos@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] DESCRIPTION="Based on the ${ECLASS} eclass"
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 20:53:04
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 I have a personal vendetta on this subject. Several eclasses set a
5 completely worthless description (and even more set a mostly worthless
6 DESCRIPTION) which ends up contaminating the DESCRIPTION for an ebuild
7 when inherit is done after DESCRIPTION is set.
8
9 I realize that most of you will find this a little pedantic, however, I
10 find that needing to move my DESCRIPTION to below the inherit often
11 severely affects the readability of the ebuild, and all to avoid a
12 completely (or nearly) worthless DESCRIPTION from contaminating my
13 environment.
14
15 In my opinion, the text "# @DESCRIPTION" in an eclass is more than
16 enough for readability, and setting DESCRIPTION only serves to
17 contaminate the environment. The is especially true for the following
18 eclasses that set the DESCRIPTION from the subject:
19
20 ozzie eclass # grep 'DESCRIPTION="Based on the ' *.eclass
21 cannadic.eclass:DESCRIPTION="Based on the $ECLASS eclass"
22 confutils.eclass:DESCRIPTION="Based on the ${ECLASS} eclass"
23 embassy.eclass:DESCRIPTION="Based on the $ECLASS eclass"
24 eutils.eclass:DESCRIPTION="Based on the ${ECLASS} eclass"
25 games.eclass:DESCRIPTION="Based on the ${ECLASS} eclass"
26 gnatbuild.eclass:DESCRIPTION="Based on the ${ECLASS} eclass"
27 gnuconfig.eclass:DESCRIPTION="Based on the ${ECLASS} eclass"
28 libtool.eclass:DESCRIPTION="Based on the ${ECLASS} eclass"
29 linux-mod.eclass:DESCRIPTION="Based on the $ECLASS eclass"
30 nsplugins.eclass:DESCRIPTION="Based on the ${ECLASS} eclass"
31 perl-module.eclass:DESCRIPTION="Based on the $ECLASS eclass"
32 qmail.eclass:DESCRIPTION="Based on the ${ECLASS} eclass"
33 toolchain-funcs.eclass:DESCRIPTION="Based on the ${ECLASS} eclass"
34
35 Although these are the ones that make me the most unhappy, I see no
36 purpose for setting DESCRIPTION in any eclass as it really serves no
37 purpose to source the eclass then source the ebuild 0.01s later and
38 overwrite the DESCRIPTION. Fixing this is not difficult, unlikely to
39 affect anything, but will help avoid one tiny little annoyance that
40 really looks like a relic from a time long long ago.
41
42 Thanks for the consideration
43
44 - -Zero