From: Dylan Carlson <absinthe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Revisiting GLEP 19
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 22:59:02
1 On Tuesday 20 July 2004 6:06 pm, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2
3 > That's simple - just don't do 'emerge sync; emerge -u world' on a daily
4 > basis. Only upgrade when you definitely need a fix.
5 > </troll>
6
7 Actually you have a point in that many (good) IT shops follow that policy
8 already. But they all have an upstream vendor that does much of that QA
9 for them, in the event they don't have the time to exhaustively research
10 an update, or run it through every test case.
11
12 > > 3/ Users already have a good understanding of what profiles are. This
13 > > is useful.
14 >
15 > I believe that's an assumption not based in fact.
16
17 Given what user threads I've seen, most Gentoo users understand what
18 profiles are in a basic sense. We've had some debate here in -dev on what
19 they are, and what they should be...
20
21 > > 4/ Creating separate CVS trees while also using profiles seems
22 > > superfluous.
23 >
24 > Not sure about that. I believe a profile is something that should never
25 > change once it's marked stable. Right now, I don't see how that fits in
26 > with our ever-changing tree.
27
28 Essentially we agree, we're getting our signals crossed here. I advocate
29 a single tree with static profiles. Right now profiles are just inclusion
30 masks... but ideally they would be able to nail a profile down to certain
31 package versions that are considered too vital, or large/unwieldy to allow
32 enhancement upgrades.
33
34 > > 1/ archs will need to have a regular, predictable release schedule,
35 > > probably at least every six months.
36 >
37 > Why? Not saying I don't agree, but it'd help if this assertion was
38 > justified.
39
40 It clarifies a release/QA schedule for both devs & users, and allows
41 downstream enterprises to plan in advance to test OS upgrades and deploy.
42 Everybody has a spot on the calendar they're working towards.
43
44 Even if the release isn't substantial, there's always enough change in a
45 6-mo window to justify a new release.
46
47 > I don't think this is sustainable. Practically every new version of a
48 > package contains fixes compared to the one that it replaces.
49
50 We have to make a distinction between critical fixes (esp. security) and
51 everything else. Most bugs are not show-stoppers.
52
53 > Not *less* than 2 years, I'd have thought. Some commercial systems are
54 > supported for 5 or even 10 years.
55
56 It's rather arbitrary but whatever we decide initially will set a
57 precedent. It's all a question of what we can actually support (vs what
58 we say we will). If we start off with a 2 year policy, and we find that
59 the 2-year-old profiles are still widely in use, we would probably need to
60 make a decision at that juncture.
61
62 - Do we say, ok, we'll revise our policy to state a 3-year-lifespan, and
63 scale our developer pool to deal with this, or...
64 - Say, look, we think a 2-year cycle is reasonable time for any
65 organization to do upgrades. We don't think it's in the best interests of
66 Gentoo to try to spread ourselves thin supporting software versions that
67 are 2 or more years old... even if that is possible. If this doesn't meet
68 an organization's particular requirements, there are other vendors who may
69 support older releases longer than we do.
70
71 In sum: we can't please everyone, and beyond that we have to be realistic
72 about what we want to support. If we get funded and have devs paid to
73 support releases beyond 2 years-- well, that's another matter altogether.
74
75 > So every single one of our 8,000+ packages that's stable will have to be
76 > listed in one or more profiles? That sounds impractical.
77
78 No, not at all. Like I said: "a list of packages which should not change
79 unless the user switches profiles". That's not meant to include the whole
80 tree. That's a set of packages which we (Gentoo devs) build and add to
81 based on user feedback.
82
83 Obviously our profile system is flexible enough already where we can simply
84 create different profiles for different deployment scenarios (server,
85 workstation, home). A "workstation" profile would pin versions of KDE
86 and GNOME packages, for example... where "home" would not.
87
88 Hopefully I'm making sense here. :-)
89
90 Cheers,