From: Max Kalika <max@g.o>
To: stuart@g.o, Max Kalika <max@g.o>, Troy Dack <tad@g.o>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [GLEP] Web Application Installation
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2003 15:20:59
1 Howdy Stuart!
2
3 Quoting Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>:
4
5 >> You want to mix the apache config block with other configuration files
6 >> that come with the application?
7 >
8 > /etc/webapps/<application>/ is the directory for the *application's*
9 > config files. Nothing to do with Apache per se.
10
11 Correct. I also create an apache config block as
12
13 /etc/webapps/<application>.conf
14
15 This is what gets included into the apache config if a user activates the
16 specific application. For example, the horde config block looks like this:
17
18 max@ike webapps $ cat horde-apache.conf
19 Alias /horde /usr/share/webapps/horde/
20 <Directory /usr/share/webapps/horde>
21 Allow from all
22 AllowOverride Limit
23 Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
24 php_flag safe_mode off
25 php_flag magic_quotes_gpc off
26 php_flag magic_quotes_runtime off
27 php_flag register_globals off
28 php_flag file_uploads on
29 php_value upload_max_filesize 50M
30 php_value include_path /usr/lib/horde-pear
31 </Directory>
32
33 > There is an alternative that should be considered. Maybe there shouldn't
34 > be an /etc/webapps directory at all, and the config files should live
35 > under the Document Root. Yes, this might be better. How would you
36 > support multiple installations of phpMyAdmin using a /etc/webapps/
37 > scheme?
38
39 The whole reason for keeping config files under /etc is for CONFIG_PROTECT.
40 Multiple versions of any app would be handled the same way as all other
41 packages on Gentoo -- core files get overwritten in an upgrade and the
42 config files are updated through dispatch-conf/etc-update/manually.
43
44 >> Yes! Which is why a patch is probably not always appropriate -- sed is
45 >> more resilient to pieces of configuration moving around upstream.
46 >
47 > Not sure I understand you here. A patch is applied against a known set
48 > of files. Portage only installs known sets of files. So a patch is no
49 > less appropriate than sed.
50
51 Right, but if the file itself gets rearranged constantly (as some apps do),
52 it may be difficult to maintain the patch. But again, this all depends on
53 the package at hand -- as stands right now everywhere else in gentoo, lets
54 do what is easier/more maintainable.
55
56 > Last night, I thought I was sure. Unfortunately, waking up today I've
57 > forgotten ;-) I'll go back and re-read the thread.
58
59 Don't you just hate when that happens :-)
60
61 > We're going to use the one eclass for CGIs, mod_perl-dependent,
62 > mod_python-dependent, and so on? Mmmm. That way lies pain and misery me
63 > thinks.
64
65 Currently there's nothing in the eclass that is language specific other
66 than that check_php function (which, as I said before, I'd like to find a
67 replacement for).
68
69 > I think we'll need a webapps-base eclass, and then a webapps-<language>
70 > set of eclasses. All the language-neutral stuff goes in the base, and
71 > everything else goes into each specific language eclass.
72
73 Certainly. Perhaps if we don't find anything that is language specific
74 (which I have yet to see), we can take a different approach and do
75 webapp-<webservertype>
76
77 > Just what webserver-specific configuration do these apps need? I'd hope
78 > that, for the vast majority of apps, it's little to none.
79
80 See above.
81
82 > It can't be that difficult - it's only a web server.
83
84 Isn't that on the list of "Famous Last Words" ? :-)
85
86 --mk
89 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list