From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gnome Stabilization 3.6 or 3.8
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2013 08:28:47
1 Daniel Campbell posted on Thu, 08 Aug 2013 01:26:47 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > [Duncan wrote...]
4 >> Gentoo/gnome is simply working with what upstream gnome gives them,
5 >> which for gentoo/gnome users now means a choice between gnome with
6 >> systemd and if no systemd, no gnome either. Upstream decision that
7 >> gentoo/gnome is dealing with too.
8 >>
9 >> ...
10 >>
11 >> So as I said, gentoo/kde-ers would be so lucky, if the gentoo/kde
12 >> project took the same position gentoo/gnome's taking here, that they
13 >> support what upstream offers, that gentoo/gnome's only forcing systemd
14 >> because upstream gnome's forcing it. Were that the case,
15 >> semantic-desktop wouldn't be forced by gentoo/kde in kde 4.11, where
16 >> upstream still offers the same options they did in 4.10, where
17 >> gentoo/kde offered the option as well.
18 >>
19 > Wow, that really sucks. I'm not posting this to the ML since I have
20 > nothing to offer to their discussion.
21
22 The best of intents... you did. =:^\
23
24 > All this mess with GNOME and KDE
25 > makes me happy to run vanilla X with Fluxbox, though. :P Which options
26 > have you considered, if Gentoo/KDE doesn't re-enable the option to
27 > disable semantic desktop?
28
29 [This is probably a rather longer reply than you expected, but eh... it
30 helps me order my thoughts and plans by putting them into words, as
31 well...]
32
33 For now, I'm carrying the necessary patches (generated by examining the
34 diffs between the ebuilds with and without that support, updating as
35 needed) myself. This is in fact how I can state with such certainty that
36 upstream still provides the required options -- I'm still using them!
37
38 But I started a thread on the gentoo-desktop list (which is where the kde-
39 sunset people gathered as well as where gentoo/kde announces meetings,
40 etc) asking if anyone else were interested in helping, with the idea of
41 doing something like the user maintained kde-sunset overlay. That
42 generated a number of hits, and there's a thread on the forums discussing
43 the topic (and linking to the list thread) as well, so I'm definitely not
44 the only one unhappy with the current situation. Tho I've let that sit
45 for a couple weeks as "real life" got in the way, unfortunately.
46
47 Meanwhile, if all goes well, the effort should be reasonably short term,
48 as upstream kde has already announced that for kde5 they're going far
49 more modularized, splitting off most packages to have independent
50 releases no longer necessarily synced to the kde core release cycle and
51 versioning, and indeed, for kde5, they're calling that core
52 kde-frameworks-5 -- which then itself becomes a much smaller kde5, as all
53 the newly independent packages WILL have their own release cycle and
54 versioning.
55
56 Given the further modularization for kde5/frameworks as the primary
57 declared and apparently well under way goal (an early preview release of
58 this core/framework is apparently already available, tho I've not tried
59 it) and no indications to the contrary, it seems unlikely that they'd
60 actually DE-modularize the semantic-desktop components, making them LESS
61 optional for frameworks and the basic desktop in the supposedly MORE
62 modularized kde5/frameworks than in current kde4, and in fact, kde's
63 plasma desktop itself has evolved to target (non-kde) mobile deployment
64 as its own "mobile-top" in the mean time too, so it really doesn't seem
65 that plasma2's likely to force a dependency that even on the desktop
66 takes enough resources to cause people to care strongly enough about
67 getting it off their systems that they'll go to extreme lengths to do it.
68
69 So I'm /reasonably/ optimistic about kde5/frameworks not requiring
70 semantic-desktop at the global level. Which of course makes gentoo/kde's
71 choice so late in the game (with 4.11 being declared the last 4-series
72 feature release for many kde4 apps including the plasma-desktop itself)
73 even *MORE* galling than it'd otherwise be!
74
75 Never-the-less, realistically, I don't see myself continuing "forever"
76 with these patches, particularly if the "kde-slim" overlay idea doesn't
77 pan out...
78
79 Should that happen, and should I be wrong about kde5/frameworks not hard-
80 requiring semantic-desktop (or should gentoo/kde continue to hard-enable
81 it in kde5/frameworks despite upstream's support for the option)...
82
83 My current plan is in that worst-case to switch, with my "investigate-
84 further-short-list" currently including:
85
86 * The new and still evolving razor-qt/lxde-qt
87
88 http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXDE-Qt
89
90 * enlightenment
91
92 * Possibly something gtk-related like xfce, given how far toward the gtk
93 side I've tipped since kde4. But currently that's all gtk2, and with
94 gtk2's own future in doubt and gtk3's close ties to the our-way-or-the-
95 highway gnome, so that even formerly gtk-based desktops like lxde are
96 turning qt, for all I can see that'd be a jump from the frying pan into
97 the fire, so I'd have to see some potential resolution to the gtk2/gtk3
98 issue, before considering that for anything longer term. (I've actually
99 been wondering what claws-mail's position is on this, but I did some
100 research on firefox about a year ago and their gtk3 implementation was
101 still hugely missing, and I'm reasonably confident that as long as firefox
102 remains gtk2 and at least so long as chromium doesn't eat /all/ of
103 firefox's Linux share, gtk2's own support status can't be /terribly/
104 dire, so...)
107 Of course the other big upcoming "paradigm switch" is wayland. Qt5 and
108 kde5/frameworks already support it to some degree, and indeed, there's
109 early experimental wayland support in the kde-frameworks preview I
110 mentioned as well as in kde 4.11 (with a very early wayland preview of
111 its own), and of course gtk3 has its own wayland support, but I've seen
112 nothing about gtk2-wayland, and I suspect wayland is actually what's
113 bringing the curtain down on continuing gtk2 support more than anything
114 else.
115
116 But I suspect the wayland switch could effectively turn the current Linux/
117 GUI/X world as we know it on its head -- it *CERTAINLY* has that
118 potential -- and 2-3 years from now (or possibly by the end of 2014 (!!))
119 what remains of the linux desktop, with "modern" desktops on wayland by
120 then altho X certainly won't be dead for awhile longer, very likely
121 looking like an entirely different competitive landscape. Beyond that,
122 my "crystal ball" goes opaque, and I really don't have much of a clue
123 /what/ I'll be looking at in terms of desktop choices, except that I have
124 the strong feeling some of our currently familiar desktop environment
125 names will be replaced! But I won't even venture a guess as to which
126 ones... Totally opaque, the crystal ball, at that point.
129 But that's in the future. For now, I'm hoping to jump back into to the
130 kde-slim overlay discussion, hopefully boosting it with some of the
131 patches I've already deployed here. And if/when there's signals of any
132 of these three: kde5/frameworks NOT going optional/modular with semantic-
133 desktop, gentoo/kde CONTINUING their un-gentoo-line forced-semantic
134 options into kde5/frameworks, or kde5/frameworks getting stuck in "duke-
135 nukem-forever" mode, /then/ I'll have to see where the kde-lean overlay
136 project is at, as well as take a deeper look at lxde-qt, enlightenment,
137 and other options. (That's if I haven't already explored them by then.
138 I tend to sit on stuff like that for some time, sometimes years, then all
139 of a sudden decide I happen to have the time and the inclination, and
140 "just do it", generally with only a day or two's inkling I might be
141 headed that way, if that. My switch to grub2, trying lvm for a year or
142 two, trying mdraid for several years, deploying ssds and btrfs here a few
143 months ago, setting up bind, and setting up ntp, were all that way. By
144 contrast, my MS->Linux switch, my kmail->claws-mail conversion, my kde3-
145 >4 upgrade, and my konqueror->firefox switch, all were similarly
146 intensive and ASAP focused action switches, but much more deliberatively
147 planned ahead and generally undertaken as the externally forcing event
148 came to pass. (After two years of planning, I actually began my full
149 switch to Linux the week eXPrivacy came out, for instance, being
150 similarly backed into a corner by MS as I was simply NOT going to give
151 them their demanded remote root and possible deactivation rights, the
152 same way I'm simply NOT going to have gentoo/kde dictate my semantic-
153 desktop policy, tho with lots of warning it was going to occur (as
154 similarly I had months of warning of the gentoo/kde semantic-desktop
155 policy change from project meeting announcements on the gentoo-desktop
156 list, before I actually needed to deal with it, when the 4.11-beta1
157 ebuilds came out), thus the two years...))
162 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman